St Andrew’s, Rugby – Director of Music
St Andrew’s is looking for a Director of Music who can fulfil the following key criteria:
1. The person will be a high quality and able organist. As well as accompanying the choir and congregation, he/she will be required to play organ voluntaries after regular Sunday services, to play at special civic services, and to play suitable music at weddings and funerals. It is desirable that the candidate would also want to seize opportunities to give the occasional organ recital.
2. The person will have a demonstrable track record as an experienced choir trainer preferably in the Anglican choral tradition; with a wide-ranging knowledge of the choral repertoire for worship and an understanding and appreciation of Anglican psalmody.
3. We expect the post holder to be excited by the chance to work with others in developing the wider musical programme that the church offers to the community. This will include taking up the cultural opportunities that being a town centre church brings in terms of concert and recital programmes, for instance.
4. He or she will work collaboratively with and support the Junior Choir leader in engaging young people in church music, and with the adult Community Church Choir.
5. It is essential that the post-holder is in deep sympathy with the Christian faith as expressed in the Anglican Church, understands and is sensitive to the particular role of music in worship and sees music as part of Christian outreach and mission. St Andrew’s is a welcoming church, with a non-judgmental and accepting approach to all.
Full information is available here.
Candidates are welcome to have an informal conversation about the post with the Rector, Canon Edmund Newey: email@example.com
For the right candidates we would be happy to consider a job-share arrangement, splitting Thursday evening rehearsal and Sunday liturgical duties.
Deadline: 6th January 2024
Interview and Audition: mid-January 2024 (date and time to be agreed with shortlisted candidates)
Start date: February 2024 or as soon as possible thereafter.